Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Vintage quilted art on canvas

My scanner cut off the edges a bit, but this is more or less the entire piece. This is a fabric collage that I hand-stitched onto a 9x12 canvas, with some edges hanging. The image, from the Queen's Dresser Drawers, was screenprinted on muslin and colored by me with Tombow pens dilutable and blendable with water. I love the vintage look, so I ransacked the Queen's fabric stash for rustic-looking fabrics. The doilies and fabric tape measure added an authentic vintage touch. I antiqued the bright muslin a bit with a chalk pad.
.
I made this crazy-quilt collage over the weekend at an art gathering here in my town. What a sublime treat it was to rub shoulders with fellow altered artists for a few hours and create something yummy like this. I haven't been to the Queen's house for an art workshop in about a year because my son was so little and it was hard to be apart from him. Now Larry's getting older and more independent and I felt more at ease escaping for a few hours to create some art.
.

No comments: